Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Passion Fruit (or "Markisa" in Bahasa Melayu)

How many of you have tasted Passion Fruit? The scientific name of Passion Fruit is Passiflora edulis. It is also known as "Markisa" in Bahasa Melayu (Malay language).

I fell in love with this fruit only this year when I found out how to eat them. I went to the market one day and saw so many people stopping at a fruit stall selling this fruit. Out of curiousity I stopped by and inquire about the fruit and how to eat them. A kind lady told me that I have to choose a fruit that is heavier because it has more flesh. She instructed me to leave it outside the fridge for 1 week for the skin to dry up before eating them. It was like a science experiment for me because I have never seen how the inside of the fruit looked like. So I bought some fruits and  followed her instruction. To my surprise, I love the taste of the fruit and have since continue eating the fruit from that day onwards. The fruit is priced between RM8 to RM12 per kg.


Passion fruit is a special fruit. It should not be eaten when the skin is smooth and nice to look at because it is very sour.

Fresh Passion Fruit - very sour



It is best eaten when the skin is shiveled and looks as though it is spoilt. However, don't be deceived, it tastes best when the skin is shiveled. It has a nice fragrant and taste sweet with a tinge of sour taste.

Wait for 1 week



Fresh passion fruit is high in vitamin A, potassium, and dietary fiber. Passion fruit juice is a good source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

 Cut it open





Scrape the fruit and seeds into a bowl (seeds can be eaten)


 Ready to serve



Any of you have tried Passion Fruit before? Like it? Please share.

5 comments:

Sherry Go Sharing said...

I forgot I got eat this before.. lol.. good to know the malay language too.

Cynthia Z said...

I love passion fruit too! I used to eat a lot of it while in my hometown :). I like the sound of the crunchy seeds. I used to eat it right out of the peel with a spoon n never scooped it all out into a bowl :). Ooh..now i wanna eat it again!
♥XX♥

kimmy said...

i had never eat passion fruit, but i do use "passion fruit body butter" from the body shop. really moisture, nice scene! i love it! you might try it also.i share with my mom also, she said nice also!

yusnieda said...

yes..i like Markisa....i really do...but the last i ate it when i was 17...it's really sour and i wonder when i can get the markisa...i think we can get it at pasar malam??? hmmm....i dont think so?? any idea??

Foxy Frangipani said...

i love passion fruits! i have them like every other day, drizzle some honey, yummmm :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails